This is the impact of COVID-19 on Central American ports
In follow-up to the effects of the epidemic by COVID-19 in the maritime and port scenario of the region, the Central American Commission of Maritime Transport (Cocatram) presented the results of the second survey on the ‘Impact of COVID-19 on Port Operations in Central America and the Dominican Republic’.
http://t21.com.mx/ – The report was produced through a survey of 32 ports and terminals in Central America and the Dominican Republic between 23 July and 15 August in Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama and the Dominican Republic. The sample represents 55% of the ports and terminals of foreign trade in the region.
The document is structured in eight sections. The first section presents the general data of the respondents, followed by information related to the detection of COVID-19 and preventive measures in port facilities.
The following section presents the impact on port operations in relation to the reception of MARPOL waste, workers, generated costs, ship handling services, cargo volumes and on the supply chain. The data is then shown in view of the fluidity of the load and impact perspectives; concluding with the recommendations issued by the ports/terminals and the conclusions derived from the data collected.
The methodology used for the preparation of the report is based on two levels: data (quantitative and qualitative) and methods (inductive and deductive). It is also based on a descriptive analysis of responses received from 50% of ports/container terminals, 67% of liquid bulk, 67% of solid bulk and 50% of multipurpose ports, of the total number of ports in the region.
The spread of COVID-19 in port facilities in the region is evident from the number of ports/terminals that reported detecting workers with the virus. Compared to the results of the first survey conducted in April, there was a 51% increase in the number of ports/terminals that detected cases, from 18% to 69%.
The largest number of cases were concentrated in Panama and the Dominican Republic, with 45% (229 workers) and 21% (107 workers), respectively, representing 66% of the total. Comparing the results with the first survey, the number of cases detected in port facilities increased from 11 to 510.
Regarding the type of port/terminal, 100% of the container ports detected contagion of COVID-19 in their workers, while in the rest of the terminals the contagion rate was lower.
The impact of COVID-19 on cargo volumes was analyzed from the volume of loading and unloading of the cargo. The results regarding the volume of shipment of the cargo show that 59% of those who responded experienced a decrease, of which 28% reported a decrease of more than 10 percent.
Considering the type of port/terminal, the results show that the multipurpose and solid bulk were the least affected with 53% and 50% of these, respectively, which did not experience a decrease in cargo loading volumes, while all container ports/terminals recorded decreases in a range from 1% to 30%.
Regarding the volume of unloading of cargo, it is shown that 62% of those who responded experienced a decrease and only one port recorded a decrease close to 50 percent.
Depending on the type of port/terminal, the results show that all container ports recorded a decrease in landing, while in the rest, a significant number did not experience a decrease.
In the first survey, 39% of ports reported a decrease in cargo volume, while in the current survey, on average, it was 61%.
As a prospect, the study presents a less optimistic result at the general level in the region, given that 41% of respondents expect a decrease in the volume of cargo, while the remaining 59% estimate that the volume will not decrease.
Only in some of the multipurpose and liquid bulk terminals do they estimate an increase in the volume of cargo and that in the solid bulk and container terminals they foresee, in a significant proportion, a decrease in volumes.
You can see the full report here.
See original article at: http://t21.com.mx
SegurCaixa Adeslas prevé volver por completo a la normalidad de su actividad el próximo viernes tras seis semanas intentado recuperarse de un apagón digital [...]
El caso del paciente infectado por dos cepas de coronavirus y con una peor evolución en la segunda demuestra lo poco que sabemos sobre el virus. ¿Cuánto dura la inmunidad? ¿Qué significa para los tratamientos y vacunas en desarrollo? ¿Necesitaremos una dosis anual en vez de una vacuna única? [...]
Se ubicó en el puesto 483 y fue la única empresa colombiana que hizo parte del listado, así como la única latinoamericana de seguros [...]
Las líneas navieras han sabido resistir, dado a una serie de factores más o menos inesperados [...]